For my last installment in this “backstage” look at the world of email and personal development, we’re looking at my dear friend Linda Sivertsen and the Beautiful Writer’s Group.
Linda Sivertsen and The Beautiful Writer’s Group (and me!)
The Beautiful Writer’s Group is a community of writers who get support, insights, cheer-leading and practical advice from our private Facebook page and a monthly coaching call run by me and Linda. It’s super-inexpensive and lots of fun.
Linda’s Unique Style
Linda is known worldwide as the Book Mama because she is so genuinely loving. She adores writers and has a true calling to support them. She has published several bestsellers herself and she is friends with every cool agent and publisher in the biz. Several times a year, she leads her Carmel Writing Retreat, where she spends a week with 6 women writers and a gourmet chef, helping them craft their book into something writable and, moreover, salable.
If you look in the “Acknowledgments” of some of your favorite books, you will probably see Linda’s name – that’s how influential she is. She is forever connecting writers with agents, agents with book proposals, and publishers with agents. Because she doesn’t charge for any of this matchmaking, she is trusted by one and all.
She also hosts the Beautiful Writer’s Podcast, which features such guests as Elizabeth Gilbert, Dr. Brené Brown, Seth Godin, Glennon Doyle Melton, Marianne Williamson, Arianna Huffington, Steven Pressfield, Martha Beck, Dani Shapiro, Mary Karr, Leeza Gibbons, Gretchen Rubin, Jillian Lauren…all of them going deep and telling the real TRUTH about their writing practice. It’s a great show, and you can find it on iTunes, SoundCloud and here: http://bookmama.com/category/beautiful-writers-podcast/.
Linda’s Smart Strategy
The Beautiful Writer’s Group is what’s known as a membership site. Membership sites are endlessly flexible (you can tailor your own to whatever audience you like), and Linda’s is delightfully simple.
For a low monthly fee or annual subscription, writers get:
- Monthly Q&A Coaching Call with me and Linda – giving straight-up honest answers to questions about publishing, platform, marketing, editing, motivation, gremlins and everything else that a writer needs to know.
- Private Facebook Group – a wonderful, active and supportive group of writers who get to ask ANYTHING and get answers from each other as well and Linda and me.
- Archived Recordings – exclusive access to previously recorded Q&A calls as well as Expert Calls, many of them with the original co-founder of BWG, the marvelous Danielle LaPorte.
- Resources List – our own private list of trusted resources to help you wrangle your muse and get published.
- Bonus Surprises – you never know what new goodie might show up!
Idea You Could Borrow for Yourself
Think about ways that you could:
1) Create a community that supports your tribe
– Private or Public Facebook groups are easy and free
– MeetUps allow you to create and advertise live local events for a low cost
– Zoom Conferencing allows you to easily video conference online
2) Provide ongoing value to that community
– Offer wisdom, resources and outside experts
– Perhaps most meaningfully, a way for them to connect with each other – a directory, perhaps?
– Send a free daily email to inspire them and keep them on track
3) Create ongoing recurring revenue for you
– If you have 100 subscribers at even just $10/month, that’s an extra $1000 without too much additional work
– You can offer your membership special deals, up-sells and opportunities to generate even more revenue and serve them better
– You can generate affiliate and sponsorship revenue by giving trusted businesses occasional access to your tribe
I hope you’ve enjoyed this 12-part series, and I hope it has you dreaming up ways you can grow your business, make more moolah and help more people.
Let me know what actions you’re inspired to take, OK? You know I love to hear from you.
P.S. If you’re looking for a cheap and effective way to support your journey as a writer, I deeply recommend The Beautiful Writer’s Group – try it and see for yourself! – S
P.S. I am proud to be a friend, colleague, student, Big Fan and affiliate for many of the teachers, writers and healers I’m discussing in this email series. I trust that you will trust your intuition, do your own research and only get involved in things that are right for you. Good? Good. Thanks. – S.
More from living