When you look at a beautiful handmade quilt, you may think it would be a project you could personally never tackle. A sewing project that may seem a bit overwhelming will be easier to accomplish if you approach it with the right frame of mind and confidence in your sewing ability. Just as a journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step, and progresses by continuing to put one foot in front of the other, a beautiful handmade quilt begins with a first step and continues by completing each step along the way until you have a lovely quilt that you made yourself.
- The first step is just to decide you are going make a handmade quilt. Have enough confidence in your sewing ability to get started. (If you can cut a straight line and sew a straight seam, you can create a quilt top and eventually end up with a beautiful handmade quilt.)
- Next, you need to find a pattern. Quilting books and magazines have quilt patterns for every level of experience. For your first quilt, a pattern with straight seams rather than curves or difficult angles to sew is the best choice.
- When it comes to picking out fabric, pick colors and patterns that you really like. If you get half way done, and aren’t pleased with the colors and patterns, you will be tempted to put it aside and not finish your project.
- Follow the pattern instruction for cutting out your quilt pieces and sewing them you’re your quilt top. Think of it as cutting ONE piece of fabric at a time and sewing ONE seam at a time.
- It is especially important to follow the pattern instructions for pressing the seams as you sew the pieces together.
- Once you have your quilt top completed, you are well on your way to having a beautiful handmade quilt. All you have left to do is put the top, batting and backing together, do the quilting and put on the binding.
If you would love to own a beautiful handmade quilt, but no one has presented you with one as a gift, your only choice may be to make it for yourself. Or, perhaps you have a friend or family member that you would like to present with a special gift. Start with a simple pattern and take your time completing each step as well as you can. As you gain experience and confidence in your ability, you can move on to more complicated patterns. If you take one step at a time and have just a little determination, you can create a beautiful handmade quilt to give as a gift or enjoy using in your own home. Happy quilting!
More from home