As I was trying to find a project to make a Christmas present for my husband, it dawned to me that I could make him some underpants.
The easiest way was to take an old pair of his and use it as a pattern.
MATERIALS AND TOOLS:
- old pair of underpants
- sewing needles (machine and hand)
- overlocker (optional)
- ruler/seam gauge ruler
- fabric – 87x110cm or 34 x 43 inches
- sewing machine
- buttons (used two with my project)
1. The first thing you will need to do is to unpick the underpants. All the seams until you are left with four pieces – two for the back and two for the front. You only need one for the front and one for the back. I also kept the elastic, to use later for the waist band.2. Place your newly made pattern pieces on your fabric which you have on fold and pin it. Correct any lines I had to redraw some lines and I’ve added 1 cm seam allowance as the original underpants had only 0.5cm.
3. Cut your pieces, and if you want overlock them. I used me overlocker, but this step is optional or you can use your sewing machine by zig-zag-ing the edges.4. Pin right sides together one front piece and a back one on the side seam. Then sew it on your machine.
5. Iron the newly stitch and press open.
6. Pin, stitch front and back seams at the crotch. Iron seam open 7. Before you stitch your left and right legs together at the centre seam, mark the point of the opening. I’ve marked mine at 1.5cm from the centre front and same from the opening point. (basically, same amount you used for the seam allowance). 8. Pin your left and right pant right sides together. Then Stitch together. I started at the centre front, with the longest stitch length(remember you will be opening that part later) and stitched it all the way around. At the marked point of the opening, I changed the length of the stitch and backstitched. 9. At this stage, unpick the front centre seam and make your button holes. that if you want to use Buttons.
10. To make sure the opening is secure, I made two boxes to make the seam stronger. You do not have to do this, if you do not want to. I have also folded the top bank and topstitched it in place. 11. Measure and cut your elastic. Then pin it to the waist. I pined first the centre back then the front and then the sides. After that I used my zig-zag stitch on my machine and by puling the elastic I made two rows at the top of the elastic and at the bottom (You cannot see my stitch because I used white tread on the side of the elastic) 12. I’ve done my hems using the template I found and downloaded from www.scientificseamstress.com
13. And voila you’ve got a pair of underpants. Here are a few I’ve made.
If you used my tutorial to make your own pair, I’d love to see and if you want post your pictures together with mine. Send me your pictures by e-mail at draculashbv(at)googlemail.com.
More from home