This article was written by a member of the SheKnows Community. It has not been edited, vetted or reviewed by our editorial staff, and any opinions expressed herein are the writer’s own.
I don't know many crafty people who wouldn't love to have a craft space of their own. It's not something that many people are lucky enough to have though. Having a whole extra room in your home just for crafting isn't always something you can manage. It wasn't something we had room for either. Then one day while I was out in the shed, almost two years ago, I had a brilliant idea! We only used the shed for holiday stuff, and once in a blue moon a child or two would hang out in there for awhile. Mostly it was pretty unused. I started to day dream about converting the shed out back into my own space. Then I mentioned it to hubby, and he said two magic words that started the whole process... "Why not?" I didn't know what a She Shed was then, but it would not be long before I learned!
The 8'x12' shed, in the beginning. We started the transformation in May of 2014. It would take three months to complete. It was worth every minute!
This is what the shed looked like before. Nothing special, it's just a shed.
Hubby removed extra screws and random shelves the previous shed owner had installed. He was so helpful through the whole process!
We needed to decide how to go about it. At first I wanted to dry wall the whole room. Make it feel and look like an actual room. We worked out how to run power to the shed, and decided we'd install a window AC unit. Instead of installing it in the window, we decided we'd cut out a hole and put it under the window to avoid blocking the small amount of natural light the room got. After some thought, I choose not to dry wall, and instead just paint the whole room. I figured that I could add more shelving in between the framing for even more storage!
So the painting began! I had two very excited and willing helpers, at first. It was a big
job and they didn't stick around long, but it was fun while they did!
I honestly had no idea what I was getting into when I decided to paint raw particle board!
I thought the painting would be the easiest part, but it was a huge process!
After the painting was finally done, we hung a shop light, and started on the flooring. I used peel and stick vinyl floor tiles and it was very simple and only took a few hours start to finish! Important lesson learned here - You need to paint the subfloor before sticking the tiles down or they don't stay.
I painted the ceiling purple for a little extra color!
Then hubby moved in the old display case we found on the local Facebook yard sale site, and installed the counters.
Once the counters were painted and had a couple coats of polyurethane it was time to move in!
I love the way my "Craft Shack" sign turned out! Isn't it fun?
The bookshelf adds some nice vertical storage.
We hung pegboard over my sewing desk
for additional storage.
I refinished a great old chair
specifically for this space.
We also hung pegboard over the counters on the other side too. These pegboards on the walls hold so many items, they are really great for storage!
The same curtains that I hung at the window are also framing the door. I love how the curtains and the rug
(Affiliate link) add a soft touch to the room!
I am so excited that it's finally done!
Some extra she shed details:
The majority of the budget was actually spent in paint. When we started I had no clue what I was doing and assumed a quick gallon of paint and we'd be ready to go! It took 1 gallon of the purple for the ceiling (used a little less than half the gallon for the ceiling, and some to touch up the display case). It also took four gallons of the white paint with primer. If I were to do it again, I would start with a special primer made specifically for particle board. I did not know such a thing existed before I started, but it does! You can find it at your local Lowes or by clicking my affiliate link above. The shop light was moved from the garage where it wasn't being used, and so it only cost a few dollars for new florescent bulbs and a new pull chain. The vinyl tiles were $0.88 each at Lowes (12x12 tile) and we bought 100 of them and had extra left. They were easy to cut to size when needed. A quick score with a utility knife and then they break beautifully in a perfect line. The counters were cut from a large sheet of plywood that was already in the shed and they were painted with the same white paint as the walls, plus a couple coats of the polyurethane.
Hubby cutting the counters. The shed in the background.
We installed a window AC unit by cutting a window sizedhole under the window, rather than blocking out the limited natural light in the shed. It works beautifully to keep the shed very comfortable and cool during the summer months. Let the Craft Shack crafting begin! Thanks for taking the Craft Shack craft room tour! You can Follow our Craft Shack adventures here on the blog, or on Facebook, Pinterest, or Instagram!