I have fun with tight spaces, especially baths. I have been known to go a little crazy with fun, bright colors and patterns.
This little added on bath was a very tight fit. It barely had room for a sink and a toilet with absolutely no storage. This had to be fixed, and right now.
The little bath was nestled under the eves of the roof so the walls were built in with no thought for storage.
Magic happens between studs and roof overhangs if you are clever enough to know how to take advantage of lost spaces.
I hate wasted space. Storage is a premium, in my experience in most houses and even more so in a tiny space.
So the clever hat needs to be brushed off and utilized. How do you get storage when there seems to be none.
Beginning with cutting into that overhang roof space. And between studs. We needed to be extra careful so as not to cut any plumbing pie or electrical.
We framed in a box, wrapped it with bead-board, trimmed around each opening and added shelves. Instant storage for all those needed bath items.
I painted the entire wall and shelf section an off white and antiqued it with a warm chocolate.
This accomplished what was needed. Storage.The little two tiered table with rod iron is another project which I will share in my next post. I needed a very tiny table to hold a little lamp for a nightlight.
I began to paint the shelves with Modern master Effects Paint in copper
. This paint is extraordinary. It paints on in a shiny copper, when you mist it with the activation liquid it starts to patina. I love the turquoise patina.
The added storage is invaluable.
I'm a crazy painter. I love an unexpected, happy spot of color.
I began by free-hand drawing sunflowers. With a color pallet in mind to match the red, green and turquoise towels, I painted the background in washes of blue-green and turquoise.
The leaves and stems came next. I am still using light washes of color and then deepening the shadow of turquoise and blues. I work wet on wet so this makes it easier to float and mix colors.
I started to fill in the funky sunflowers, making sure they tipped and tilted.
I began to added hotter and deeper colors for contrast and depth.
I have to step back often because I am know for getting to heavy handed with my paint. By now I am covered with paint, which surprises no one.
The hot red poppies (a favorite) pulls the whole wall together. I finish by coating the entire painting with a crackle medium. When this is dry I add colors to highlight the poppies which then crackles.
To finish off I add a bit more deep turquoise in the background and details to the flowers.
My next post will be how I built the little table and more storage from a round piece of pine and stair balusters.
Till then, thanks for visiting.