Today I think you need an easy challenge. After the hard work of the last couple of days you deserve to have an easy drawer to organize and it will just take minutes. I used my hubby's as an example, and his response was "really', but he knows it is for the greater good of organizing men everywhere! He is going to be thrilled that I am using the pictures again! After he said really, his next response was, "you really should make the bed first". Please tell my you don't care.....please tell me I don't have to make my bed because it was a Sunday......please don't judge me.
So here are the steps:
1. Empty out everything
2. Wipe out the drawer
3. Remove anything with holes or you no longer use.....look at each piece. Remove anything that doesn't make you happy. Remove anything that is not comfortable. Remove anything that is not attractive or in style, purple ankle sock with pompoms really are not in style anymore if you are a 60 year old woman.
4. Sort all remaining items into like piles
5. Find a drawer organizer that fits the needs of the remaining items
- Fold or roll socks instead of turning one inside the other. This helps with extending the length of the sock by not having the elastic stretched out (beside it looks pretty).
- Remember the 80/20 rule? You wear 20% of your stuff 80% of the time. This is true on socks and underwear, pick out the ones that you wear, and get rid of the rest. When I work with clients most of them have more than one drawer of socks and underwear. Time to take a serious look at what you have. Do you really need 50 pairs of underwear and 80 pairs of socks? You really only wear your favorites. Do you need a drawer of just socks for exercising, but only exercise two times a week? In that case you should only have 2 pairs of socks.
- Sort the socks into colors or types. For my husband, it is white, tan black/navy. If you have trouble determining between black and navy, make sure you keep those on opposite sides of the drawer.
- I took the after picture over 6 months ago and if you opened the drawer, it would look the same. Please notice that there are simply not a lot of items in the drawer. He really doesn't need that many items, nobody does. As long as you do laundry a couple of times a week there is never a problem.
- I need to go and do my drawer again as mine does not look the same from when I organized it last. Mine is a little out of control! I wont be showing before and after picture of that one....ha!
Wondering what this challenge is all about?
To be entered in the challenge you need to post a comment on my blog or post a comment on my facebook page. Each comment you get one point. Each point will enter you in the drawing for the free organizing hour. Invite your friends and family to join and tell me you invited them and you will get 2 points! For example if you get 50 points, you get 50 chances to win!
Remember to share with your friends and family, as you know if you send this to your mother she will spam all her friends with this…..go ahead, they wont mind!
To Joyful, Simplified Living,
MS. Simplicity, also known as Melissa Schmalenberger operates her business as I Did it with MS. Simplicity. She is a Professional Organizer based out of Fargo, ND and her website can be found at www.ididit-fargo.com . Need to contact MS. Simplicity privately, you can email her at email@example.com. For daily organizing tips find the MS. Simplicity fan page here.
If you try any of my suggestions, I would love to hear from you. It helps me to understand what my readers want me to write about and what they think is a waste of their time….thanks for taking the time to help me out.
More from home