If you are a fan of Instagram, you'll want to check out the new iPhone app Camera Awesome, a free app from SmugMug. This app joins my list of personal faves for camera versatility and high performance, a list that includes the Instagram, Adobe Photoshop Express, and Camera+ apps. All of the apps listed here are free except the Camera+ app that costs $1.99.
The Camera Awesome app with all its features is a bit addicting, and I will warn you that it is very tempting to buy extra bonus features for the Camera Awesome. Each bonus set of nine additional (totally awesome) effects is 99 cents.
The photo montage included in this post includes the same photo processed with 3 different effects using Camera Awesome below the original photo. I tried to pick a very ordinary subject—a sunrise—and see if the app could "Awesomize" it. And, yes, that is the term the app makers use. Since I am a Photoshop geek, I wasn't sure if this iPhone app would be as versatile and tweakable as a I wanted. Turns out it was a great deal of fun to use. I have to add one thing that I really love about this app, you can upload any photo in the app to post process. Here are my thoughts on the new app:
- Camera app works with the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S (an Android app is in development)
- Full-featured and full-powered camera app
- Free app comes with 36 free effects: presets, filters, textures, and frames
- Option to upgrade and buy more presets, a total of 297 presets available
- Image stabilization, burst mode, camera timer, and more
- Fast burst option for active shotss—camera can capture photos in quick sequences
- Works in video mode
- All your photos can be shared on social media through the easy built-in sharing feature
- Option to use SmugMug photo archiving at full resolution
The Camera Awesome app has so many features I am sure I will find a new favorite photo effect for months to come. Want to see how it works? You can watch the SmugMug video for more details on the awesomeness here or in the video below. And you can see more of my Camera Awesome photos here.
(Photos above by me, Chris Olson.)
~ Chris Olson
Writer and illustrator
More from home