Hopefully Old Man Winter has officially said goodbye and Spring is here to stay. With this warm weather in Houston, I have been trying to enjoy as much sun and outdoor time as possible. Gardening is a hobby that I enjoy doing, and one of my favorite past times is to spend it in my garden, enjoying the natural beauty God has given us.
I truly love all types of gardens, from lavish, formal English gardens to natural almost overgrown gardens--I appreciate the natural beauty and inspiration that surrounds me. Do you prefer a specific garden style? Do you have specific colors you want to use in your garden? If you are thinking of re-working your garden, here are some thought provoking tips to consider.
- When designing your garden, select flowers and plants that are indigenous to your environment and climate. There is no need to waste your time and energy on plants that will not grow.
- When determining your plant beds, make sure that those plants will grow well together and need the same amount of water, soil type, and sunlight.
- Color combinations, whether they are monotone or a vibrant mix, can make a statement.
- Make sure that your garden reflects not only you, but your lifestyle. Maintenance is a necessary must for a flourishing garden. A little TLC will go a long way!
- Create a focal point in your yard; use your plants as an architectural element and focal point.
I hope you have enjoyed some of these ideas on designing or maintaining your own personal garden. Send me images of what your garden style is! Did you have a favorite garden from this highlighted selection?
More from home