Celebrity chef Rocco DiSpirito is famed for his wizardry in the kitchen. Now he's authored a book with both recipes and a diet that helped him lose more than 50 pounds: "The Pound a Day Diet: Lose Up to 5 Pounds in 5 Days by Eating the Foods You Love (click for details)."
In a recent interview with Haute Living, he dished up a variety of ways to lose weight and keep it off. Rocco also is the author of "Now Eat This!: 150 of America's Favorite Comfort Foods, All Under 350 Calories" and "Now Eat This! Diet: Lose Up to 10 Pounds in Just 2 Weeks Eating 6 Meals a Day."
- Rocco describes the Pound a Day Diet as "an accelerated weight loss plan designed to help you lose up to a pound a day." On it, dieters consume six meals daily, all of which are carefully calculated to cut calories as well as cravings.
- Got a summer BBQ coming up? Rocco notes that he "re-imagined a traditional BBQ chicken dish in The Pound A Day Diet. The difference in my BBQ chicken cutlet recipe is that it’s only 129 calories per serving, low fat, high protein, gluten free and no sugar added. "
- Rocco takes pride in his celebrity weight loss success stories. "Sherri Shepherd and Whoopi Goldberg have both lost over 30 pounds, Paul Stanley has incredible abs."
Try one of the recipes from his "Pound a Day" diet book below.
High-protein chocolate smoothie recipe
6 cups cold water
2 scoops fiber powder
2 scoops protein powder
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons dark unsweetened cocoa powder
24 packets monk fruit extract (optional)
4 scoops unflavored egg-white powder
2 cups crushed ice or small ice cubes
1. Put the water and fiber powder in a blender and blend on high until smooth and slightly thickened, about1 1/2 minutes. Turn the blender off and add the protein powder and the cocoa (and monk fruit if using); blend until smooth, about 30 seconds, and turn off the blender.
2. Add the egg-white powder and blend until smooth, about 10 seconds, then add the ice and blend until smooth, about 30 seconds. Pour the smoothie into four pint-sized glasses.
Hot Tip: Add a pinch of salt if your diet can afford the sodium -- it will really draw out the full flavor of the cocoa.
THE SKINNY: 198 calories, 2g fat (0.25g sat), 0mg cholesterol, 488mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate, 8g fiber, 30.75g protein
More from health