So I know I said I would review Insanity earlier but then I was like "I haven't even done it yet, how can I review it?" I'm almost at the 3 week mark which puts me roughly a third of the way through and I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE it.
I'm not a professional in anything fitness related, but I really honestly like Insanity and think it's a great program. I'll bring a up a few points people have mentioned in other reviews that I've seen:
1. It's hard on your knees - I'm not an expert so if you have knee or joint problems you should talk to your doctor, but for me personally (I have no known knee/joint problems) it's been WAY easier on my knees than 30 Day Shred. Shaun T really emphaszies proper form and landing softly. I also do my work out wearing tennis shoes on carpet (my entire apartment is carpeted except the bathrooms and kitchen, haha.) So if you do Insanity on a hard surface, I'd recommend getting a mat.
2. The music is awful - Yeah yeah I know we all want some cool playlist, but then Beach Body would have to acquire the rights to the music and that's a pain in the butt. What I do is I choose the option to play with no music and then I put my ipod on. At the end of this post I'll list my Insanity playlist.
3. It's boring and repetitive - I'll be honest, sometimes it sucks doing the same thing week after week. But it's really hard so it goes by pretty quickly since the work out is so intense and you never do the same thing for more than a minute at a time. Also, because the work outs are the same (they vary from day to day, but ultimately stay the same week after week until you switch to the second month) it is OBVIOUS to me where I am getting better. For example when I first started, the warm up was so hard that I couldn't even get myself to do the stretching with them. Now I can go hard up until the last 5 minutes of the work out.
4. I'm not seeing results whine whine whine complain complain - Please keep in mind that Insanity includes an Elite Nutrition Guide in the back. You HAAAAAAAAAVE to follow the nutrition guide to see results! You can't do Insanity while eating junk and expect to see results! I don't follow the nutrition guide verbatim but I read what I can eat and I got the basic structure of how my meals should be and that's what I model my eating habits after. For example for breakfast it says I should eat like 2 whole eggs plus 2 egg whites plus 4 pieces of some kind of toast and I just physically CANNOT do that. So I eat 2 eggs or whatever for breakfast and later I snack a lot, cos I can't eat that much in one setting. The important thing is to get your calorie requirements through clean, healthy food. I'm eating between 1800-2000 calories a day. Insanity has the guide to calculate your caloric requirements and you need to follow that. Does 2000 calories seem like a lot if you want to lose weight? Maybe, but I've lost 5.5 pounds in the past 2.5 weeks and it's STAYING off. Before when I would only eat 1200, sure I'd lose weight but then it'd all come back within a few days.
The really important thing about Insanity is eating clean. It's so hard and sometimes I cheat - last Sunday I ate an entire Symphony bar for example. But you just pick up where you left off. It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle. And as soon as I realized there's other foods out there that aren't processed, artificial, or simple carbs then I realized there's so much I CAN eat that I don't feel deprived at all.
The way I keep my caloric intake up is by eating lots of nuts and avocado. Otherwise I often fall short of my calorie requirements. I'm supposed to eat 2086 calories at my height and weight but sometimes I get so full that I literally cannot, so instead I just make sure that I get to AT LEAST 1800.
Insanity is THE HARDEST work out I have ever done. It is intense and crazy but it is so awesome. I dread doing it but once I have it done I feel awesome. I totally recommend it. It uses your body weight to train you and I see myself progress almost daily.
Here's a picture of my results thus far:
Also here is my Insanity playlist:
1. Pour it Up - Rihanna
2. Survivor - Destiny's Child
3. Bangarang - Skrillex (ft. Sirah)
4. Little Bad Girl - David Guetta (ft. Taio Cruz and Ludacris)
5. Tu Cuerpo - Pitbull (ft. Jencarlos)
6. Clique - Kanye West, Jay-Z & Big Sean
7. Una Vaina Loca - Fuego (ft. El Potro)
8. Beauty and a Beat - Justin Bieber (ft. Nicki Minaj)
More from health