When I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in 2008, I thought my life was over. There were not many resources out there and products did not have to adhere to any labeling guidelines at all. And the worst part of it all was that doctors didn't even really understand the dietary needs. The dietitian I saw after being diagnosed flat out told me that I would be able to reintroduce gluten into my diet after a few months. Talk about scary.
Flash forward to today: there are so many awesome resources now on and off the internet, as well as a better understanding of what Celiac Disease and Gluten Sensitivity/Intolerance actually is. I started A Lazy Girl's Guide to Living Gluten Free in order to become influential part of this increase in knowledge and understanding. This is not an allergy we suffer from, it is a medical condition, and it is our way of life.
So take the National Foundation of Celiac Awareness' (NFCA) Pledge with me. Vow that 2014 is going to be the year that you turn your back on sneaking gluten and instead help yourself become a healthier happier person. Pledge to become an educator to those who are not as familiar with Celiac/Gluten Intolerance, and help to get anyone who is suffering diagnosed so they can move on with their life and be healthy again too.
Restore Your Health. Reclaim Your Life. Take the Pledge.
What does it mean to Take the Pledge? It means much more than just committing 100% to your gluten-free diet.
By taking the Pledge, you’re promising to take a proactive approach to managing your health in just three easy steps - whether it’s learning more about celiac disease itself, promising to be more diligent about recognizing and preventing cross-contact or participating in the many forms of research focused on celiac disease and non-celiac gluten sensitivity (‘gluten sensitivity’).
Why Should You Take the Pledge?
Everyone has their own personal reason for taking the Pledge. Whatever your reason, NFCA will be here to help you keep your Pledge commitment. We'll check in with you throughout 2014 to learn more about your progress and provide you with the resources you need.
NFCA encourages you to Take the Pledge!
When you fill out the Pledge form below, you promise to:
- The gluten-free diet is not a fad. We know this, you know this - it's a treatment that's here to stay.
- Celiac disease is not a food allergy. Let's take this opportunity to set the record straight!
- We can work together to amplify our voice to raise awareness of gluten-related disorders.
- We are in the driver's seat when it comes to managing our own health.
- You play a key role in helping family members understand their risk for this genetic autoimmune disease.
- 83% of people with celiac disease remain undiagnosed. We have the power to change that by sharing our personal stories and raising awareness of the signs and symptoms.
Are you ready to join me and Take the Pledge? Make a commitment to your gluten-free lifestyle and stick to it. Head over to the NFCA's website and Take the Pledge to join me and the rest gluten-free community in raising awareness for the gluten-free way of life.
More from health