Today is the absolute last day of 2013. As I write this post and reflect on the highlights and lowlights of 2013, I have a lot for which to be thankful. Last December, I gave a recap of 2012 and I have matured physically, mentally and spiritually since that time. I have learned a lot from my body. Consequently, I have a more mature and realistic perspective of my journey of good health and fitness. In terms of those goals, here's the final assessment:
- Exercise more frequently and for longer sessions: B+. Because my schedule is hectic, I cannot exercise four times per week EVERY week like I want. I have learned to get in mini sessions to compensate for missed gym or track sessions.
- Exercise at home more often: C. Because I get home late during the week, I usually only eat and sleep at home. On the weekend, I hardly ever exercised at home. Also, I only do the Nike Training Club app during the winter season.
- Take the stairs more often: A+. My work office relocated in April from a 2nd floor location to a 12th floor location. When I don't have a lot of files to carry, I walk down to the lobby at least once per day, two times if I'm ambitious. Sometimes, I surprised myself with my desire to hit the stairs for a second time.
- Park my car further from the entrance more often: B-. If the weather is bad, I want a close parking space. Hey, can you blame me?
- Drink more water: A++. I usually drink between 12 and 15 cups of water every day!
- Exercise rewards: B+. I purchased several exercise or health related items because of my rewards program. I placed $1.00 in a jar for each exercise session. When I reached $30.00, I bought some health and fitness gear such as exercise clothes, 8-lb. hand weights, etc.
Although I have not reached my weight loss goal of 78 pounds, I have made great strides with my health. My muscles are stronger. My body is more flexible. I can walk for longer distances and up stairs without getting winded. I actually look forward to getting extra steps done during the day. I can actually RUN! For me, good health trumps pounds lost. Additionally, there are mind, body and health changes that the scale cannot capture. For instance, I shared this recently with my colleagues in the Woman's Day Live Longer and Stronger Challenge in our Facebook group:
Highlights of 2013:
On the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, my husband and I were sideswiped by an 18-wheel tractor trailer in our new car (we bought it in July 2013). We are fine. The truck driver is fine. He didn't even realize that he hit us. My husband had to flag him to get him to stop. Our car is drivable. It was just a major inconvenience while we were preparing to go to Syracuse for the holiday. Normally, I would have wanted to eat something fattening (ice cream, cake, cupcakes, etc.) because of the frustration. However, I was good. I didn't even have the urge the splurge. I'm making progress that the scale cannot capture! Unanticipated benefits of the Challenge.
- March ~ I celebrated seven years in ministry.
- April ~ The My Faith and Fitness Blog celebrated its first anniversary with the publication of the My Faith and Fitness Devotional: 40 Days to Spiritual and Emotional Prosperity. Also, I celebrated another birthday!
- May ~ I ran my first 5K race!
- June ~ I started the Woman's Day Live Longer and Stronger Challenge to get past "The Plateau" and put my blood pressure and cholesterol numbers in check.
- August ~ The My Faith and Fitness Blog was nominated for a Black Weblog Award in the Best Faith-Based Blog category.
- September ~ I attended the Women In Ministry Conference in Atlanta, Georgia because of the generosity of some wonderful folks.
- February ~ Stay tuned for surprises concerning the Woman's Day Live Longer and Stronger Challenge!
- April ~ Stay tuned for surprises surrounding the My Faith and Fitness Blog's second anniversary!
- June ~ Reach an intermediate goal of at least 50 pounds lost. Currently, I am have reached a total of 34 pounds lost. (13.2 pounds lost before the Challenge began. 21.8 pounds lost during the Challenge.)
- August ~ Become a brand ambassador for an organization whose mission is compatible with the mission of the My Faith and Fitness Blog.
- By December ~ Completely revamp my business, church, casual and fitness wardrobes with new clothes and shoes from some of my favorite stores: Talbots, Lord & Taylor, Athleta and Nike. All of my clothes are too big. This goal is something that I have to accomplish. I'm praying for favor so that I can purchase quality clothes and shoes to replace my current items.
What are your goals for 2014? Have you put them in writing? Goals become more real when we put them on paper. Please share. If you need more motivation or encouragement, please let me know and I will add you to my prayer list. You can leave a comment at the end of this post or on the Facebook fan page, Tweet me, or complete the form on the Contact page. Be blessed. Remain encouraged. Enjoy the New Year!
More from health