I am one happy girl when I try a new recipe and things turn out great. It's even better when a recipe exceeds my expectations like this one did. It's been a long time since I'd made zucchini bread but with some of those veggies hanging out on my counter needing to be cooked, I decided to give it a try. Goodness gracious, this bread is so moist has rich flavor from the cinnamon & vanilla and just the right amount of crunchy texture from the zucchini & pistachios. The big surprise...it's made in just one bowl! While it was still warm, I served it with a dollop of fresh ricotta flavored with honey and lemon zest. It was so, so good that I decided to have a piece for breakfast - toasted with a little spread of butter. I love it when a plan comes together...
2 cups shredded raw zucchini
3 eggs - room temperature
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup chopped pistachios
- Shred zucchini with a box grater and place in a small mesh strainer. Press or squeeze with hands to get excess liquid out.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together eggs, sugar, and oil.
- Add into the wet mixture the flour, baking powder, soda, cinnamon, salt, vanilla, and walnuts, mixing until combined.
- Add drained zucchini. Mix well.
- Pour into a greased and floured 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes at 350°, or until a wooden pick, inserted in center comes out clean.
- while still warm, top with fresh ricotta flavored with honey and lemon zest.
- toasted with butter.
- whipped cream with toasted pistachios.
- bake in cupcake tins and frost with cream cheese icing.
More from food