What to do with a whole watermelon? When we got back from our trip (check out our Baltimore & Richmond, Charleston, New Orleans, and Austin recaps), I was super excited to go grocery shopping and get back to cooking (eating out on the road is tough). I was a little overeager and bought a whole watermelon--1 week out from 4th of July, with no plans. So, what to do with a whole watermelon besides eat it raw, before it goes bad? A new recipe, of course--granita! Granita is basically fancy Italian ice which originated in Sicily.
It's super fancy looking, so it's perfect to serve to guests, and it's also really easy to make! You can use any fruit--mango, pineapple, peaches, berries --or even make it chocolate. Added bonus, you can make it boozy by adding white rum, vodka or tequila.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Chill Time: 6 hours
Total Time: 6 hours and 10 mins
Yield: Serves 8-10
- 1/2 a large, seedless watermelon (about 5 cups of watermelon chunks)
- 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- optional: 1/2 cup alcohol (white rum, vodka, tequila)
- Dice 1/2 a watermelon into large chunks and place into a blender.
- Measure out the sugar and pour into blender.
- Juice 1 large lime and pour juice into blender.
- Blend until smooth, and pour into a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- Place in freezer for ~2 hours. As liquid begins to freeze, rake with a fork. Return to freezer and stir every 2 hours, breaking up clumps and creating ice crystals. Rake once more, just before serving.
- Serve in glassware, ice cream cups, or a scooped out watermelon half.
- Can be stored up to 4 days in a covered container in freezer.
More from food