Freshen up your holiday fare with a light and refreshing Virgin Herbal Sangria!
I love herbal teas! I am constantly brewing teas for my family- iced or hot with honey and milk–hydrating, rich in antioxidants, boosts the immune system — prevention for flu season!
Traditionally, Sangria is a fruit-based wine punch, typical of Spain, Portugal, Mexico and Argentina. There are many variations… usually consisting of wine, chopped or sliced fruit, a sweetener (such as honey, sugar, simple syrup, or fruit juice) and a small amount of brandy and orange liqueur.
This Sangria is herbal based… and non alcoholic….so it can be enjoyed by everyone!
Most food markets carry a vast selection of teas. Choose one with Hibiscus flower… that’s what gives the drink the rich crimson color. My first choice is anything organic– I like Celestial Seasonings- Wild Berry Zinger or The Republic of Tea- HIBISCUS Superflower Tea.
As for the fruit I like to use oranges, lemons, limes and apples- I always buy organic apples because they are on the EWG’s Dirty Dozen List.
Enjoy ! Have a Merry Christmas and a Healthy ( well hydrated ) New Year!
- 4 tea bags
- 1/4 cup honey (local and raw)
- 3 large oranges
- 2 limes
- 2 lemons
- 1 organic Gala ( any type) apple
- 1 bottle Perrier Water
- Pour 2 cups boiling water over four tea bags in a heat-resistant container. Steep 4-6 minutes and remove tea bags.
- Add honey to the tea while still hot, and stir to dissolve. Let sit to room temperature
- Add 2 cups of cold water.
- Transfer liquid to a glass pitcher
- Squeeze the juice of 2 oranges, 1 lime, 1 lemon, into the tea and honey mixture.
- Slice the remaining orange, lime and lemon into thin slices, and chop the apple into small cubes.
- Add all the fruit to the liquid.
- Chill in refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Take out when ready to serve and add 1 1/2 cups Perrier and 2 cups ice cubes
- Stir well!
More from food