When I am looking for recipes to modify, there's a variety of reasons I will choose a particular one. The most obvious are my two main criteria: the recipe must not have too many ingredients (usually 10-ish) and it must not have a prep time much longer than 30 minutes. However, there are other things that will draw me to recipes as well. This recipe for example I was drawn to because of how colorful it looked. Yes, that really is the reason I wanted to make it.
Not only does this Veggie Alfredo Pasta look colorful and pretty, it is quite easy to make. I had dinner on the table in about 20 minutes which is definitely Lazy Girl approved. This dish was so good I had a hard time not having thirds, I even almost had to cut my husband off! He asked if we could have it again for dinner the next night, and I told him he can have the leftovers...if there were any. Don't worry, there was plenty left, which is great for me since I rely on leftovers to bring to work for lunch.
Veggie Alfredo Pasta
You will need:
1 package gluten free pasta (I used a 12oz box of Schar Penne)
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1-1/2 cups shredded or grated Parmesan cheese
4 ounces cream cheese
1 cup broccoli, fresh or frozen (if frozen, thaw first)
1 red pepper, diced
Small bunch green onions, chopped
1 (14 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, drained
1/2 cup bacon bits
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1) Prepare pasta according to package directions in a large pot. In the last 2-3 minutes, add the chopped green onions, diced pepper and fresh or thawed broccoli. Once pasta is cooked through, drain with veggies and set aside.
2) Meanwhile, melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add heavy whipping cream and stir occasionally until butter is melted. Add the Parmesan and cream cheeses and stir until cream cheese is melted.
3) Add the pasta/veggie mixture to the sauce and stir to combine. Add the tomatoes and bacon bits. Mix together.
4) Spray a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Add pasta and spread evenly. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese evenly on top of pasta.
5) Place under broiler, on high, until cheese is melted and slightly browning.