The All-Star and I need nourishment after our Valentine's Day trauma, so I put my concocting hat on and made a soup. No recipe needed, a Laura original. Always a favorite around here, expect when they're not so good. We all make a not-so-good dish now and again. It's all part of learning to cook.
Luckily, this meal was not gross. It was very delicious.
Spinach Soup with Broccoli and Quinoa
- 1 large bunch of fresh spinach, rinsed, steams removed and chopped
- 1 large head of broccoli, cut into small flourets
- 1 yam, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups organic chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 16 oz creamy portobello mushroom soup
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large sauce pan heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until translucent. Mix in broccoli, yam and quinoa.
- Pour in broth and water and bring to a boil. Add salt and pepper, set temperature to low and simmer until vegetables are soft, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in mushroom soup, thyme and more salt and pepper to taste. Add spinach and chicken and cook until spinach is wilted, about 5 more minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Feel free to use whatever herbs and spices you like. I'm a fan of thyme. The All-Star said it gave the meal a minty flavor. Sounds good to me.
Posted originally at CultivateYourWellness.com
More from food