All right, friends…I found the key ingredient to creating a successful lettuce wrap: butter lettuce. This whole time I’ve been trying iceberg, romaine, really anything that I thought I could roll. Little did I know that a little butter lettuce would make such a huge difference. It makes beautiful little cups of joy and it doesn’t tear as easily. Pretty sturdy I’d say.
Image: Courtesy of Reel Flavor
I’m guessing most of us know the yummy chicken lettuce wraps at PF Chang’s, right? Well, they use iceberg lettuce and it really doesn’t work out so well. I love the filling, but the lettuce tends to piss me off. Always breaking on me and shiz. Maybe I should write them a letter and suggest they switch to BL…um, get with the program…
Moral of the story to all you lettuce wrap people out there, tell your friends about butter lettuce .
Ingredients: Serves about 2-3 people
About 3/4 lb. uncooked shrimp, deveined & detailed
Seasoning for shrimp: paprika, garlic powder & salt
Head of butter lettuce (I love you!)
1 can organic black beans (you can use regular; I’m just a snob)
3-4 radishes, diced
1 green onion, chopped
1/4 red onion, chopped
1/2 jalapeño, diced
2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
Dash of cayenne pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
- Dice up jalapeño, radishes, red onion and green onion.
- Season shrimp.
- Drain black beans.
- Start sautéing the jalapeno, red onion and radishes in a little olive oil.
- Add in black beans and sauté for about a minute.
- Then add shrimp and cook until pink.
- Remove from heat and transfer mixture to a bowl.
- Add cilantro and green onions to bowl.
- Season with salt, pepper and a dash of cayenne (or as much as you’d like) to taste.
- Blend everything through.
- Peel butter lettuce leaves gently to ensure you end up with sturdy cups for filling.
- Fill lettuce with shrimp/bean filling and enjoy!
Spicy Shrimp & Black Bean Lettuce Wraps Recipe Reel:
-Sylvia @ reelflavor.com
More from food