With the weather getting cooler, Cece is beginning to cook some more warming recipes. Lately she had had a hankering for corn bread and she has pulled out her recipes to hunt for her favorite recipe from Cooking Light. This is a savory corn bread scone that is spicy and robust and hits the spot on a cool morning for breakfast! Use real butter for this recipe.
Corn Scones with Jalapeno
From Cooking Light Magazine
1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup cornmeal
1 TBC baking powder
1 tsp sea salt
4 ½ TBS cold butter cut into small pieces
½ cup corn
2 TBS finely chopped jalapeno peppers (I used 3 jalapenos and it was nice and spicy)
1 cup non-fat buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine all dry ingredients. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in corn and peppers. Add buttermilk and stir until just moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead a few turns until the dough is more firm. Form into a ball and press dough gently into a pie pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Score the top with a serrated knife (do not cut through) and score into 6 pieces…first scoring into 3rds and then in half again to get 6 pieces.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Makes 12 servings.
- Nutritional Information: Each 1/12 of bread is 150 calories, 4.8 g Fat; 3.6 g Protein; 23.5 g Carbohydrate; 2.1 g Fiber; 304 mg Sodium.
“Bye for Now” from The Two Whos
The Saturday Morning Rendezvous will be a place to stop in and meet up on a weekend morning. Have a cup of tea or coffee, a special breakfast, and relax and catch up from the week’s fast pace. The Two Whos will focus Saturday’s content on physical wellness , food and fitness of all types. Come back and rendezvous with us! See you next Saturday! Thanks for visiting
Cece-one of The Two Whos http://www.thetwowhos.com
More from food