Sometimes you need to get food on the table and it needs to be yummy and satisfying. That's exactly where I was yesterday...in that "sometimes" place. The boys had the day off from school, Halloween was looming in my future and with zero pumpkins carved and candy to buy, I knew cheese and crackers were not going to cut it for dinner.
I actually didn't give things a second thought, I just pulled out my "Book." You know - the notebook with all of the food stains, sticky notes and recipes? Taco Soup was my first choice since I had all but one of the ingredients. It's "cheap and cheery" with a kick of heat, so I loaded up my slow cooker and headed off on my quest for KitKats and Snickers.
Soon enough, darkness fell and our family shared a great meal by the fire. The doorbell started to ring, giggles were heard and it was time....TRICK OR TREAT! Big Sweetie and I gave out goodies to pirates, ghosts and fairies. When it was all over, we decided yet again, the best part of Halloween is handing out the candy...and the kids, and the laughter and the food...and the candy.
1 onion chopped
2 cans cannellini beans - drained and rinsed
1 can black beans - drained and rinsed
2 cups frozen corn
1 8 oz can of tomato sauce
1 12 oz bottle beer
2 10 oz can of Rotel tomatoes with chilies
1 package of taco seasoning
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- Place onion, beans, corn, tomato sauce & beer along with the tomatoes and chilies in the slow cooker. Add the taco seasoning and stir.
- Add chicken breast to pot, making sure to cover with other ingredients.
- Set heat for low and cook for 4 hours.
- Remove chicken from cooker and let cool.
- Shred chicken with forks and add back to pot.
- Taste for seasoning, adjusting for salt and pepper.
- Cook on low for an addition 1 hour - up to 2 hours.
Serve with grated cheddar cheese, sour cream, avocado, chips and/or cornbread.
Notes~this recipe can be made in a dutch oven. Cook on top of stove at medium heat for approximately 1 1/2 hours. Test chicken prior to shredding to make sure it is cooked thoroughly.
More from food