At least once a week I roast a chicken. It's easy, no stress cooking and my family loves it. When the weather is nice, I roast on the grill but now that the temps have dropped, I have a fool proof oven method that delivers a juicy bird with crispy skin every time.
One of the things I love about roasting a chicken is that I can change up my recipe depending on seasonal flavors. That's how I came up with this version that includes clementines. We go through lot's of citrus in this house, so the other night I snagged about 4 sweet, ripe "cuties" to use with my bird. I made my roasting rack with carrots & celery (this is my "go-to" method for flavorful chicken) then placed my chicken on top. After seasoning, I added my clementines, garlic, onion and some white wine. Then, after an hour or so, my house smelled amazing and I had a delicious dinner that looked like I'd taken hours to prepare. Now you know why I roast chicken once a week...
Roasted Chicken with Clementines, Garlic and Onions
1 3-4 lb chicken
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
4 clementines - quartered
6 cloves garlic - peeled
2 large onion - roughly chopped
1 cup white wine - chicken stock or water may be substituted
3-4 celery stalks
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- In a large roasting pan, place carrots and celery lengthwise.
- Place chicken on top of carrots and celery, breast side up.
- Drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle on salt, pepper and paprika.
- Place 1/4 onion and 1/4 clementine in cavity of chicken.
- Evenly spread remaining clementines, onion and garlic cloves around chicken.
- Pour wine around side of roasting pan and place in oven.
- Roast on high heat for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees and continue to cook for 35-45 minutes.
- Check internal temperature by placing a meat thermometer into thickest part of thigh, not touching bone. Chicken is done with a read of 165 degree temperature.
- Take chicken out of oven, tent with foil and let rest for 20 minutes.
- Squeeze roasted clementines over chicken and carve.
- Serve pan juices with chicken.