Sometimes, weeknight dinners are tough. You get home from a long day of work and the last thing you want to do is open the fridge and see what's doin'. Sometimes, spending hours over a cutting board, stove, or sink could not sound more...well, unappetizing.
Luckily, this dish is nothing like that!
This is a weeknight dinner everyone can get on board with. Even if you've had a super long day and thai/sushi/pizza/anythingthatcanbedelivered sounds like the best meal you can imagine. Even if you've got a full DVR and super ready to catch up on all the latest episodes of (insert your favorite show here). Actually, especially if that's the case!
Why? Because this dish couldn't be easier. After a teeny tiny bit of prep all you do is stick it in the oven and it's time to relax. You'll have time for a glass or two of wine and to fast forward through the commercials of one or two of your favorite shows. Ok, ok, you could also do laundry/check email/return phone calls/finish the Times crossword...but I recommend wine and tv ;)
Oh, another thing. It's absolutely delicious. And a dish you can feel great about eating (and having dessert!). AND if you really want to go for it...use paper plates and you'll only have one dish to clean!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 granny smith apples, chopped
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped sage
- salt & pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Combine chopped sweet potatoes, apples, and onions in a large casserole or baking dish. Toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Bake about 15 minutes, until the sweet potatoes just start to give when pressed. Remove from oven. Sprinkle on sage. Season chicken with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Place chicken on top of apples and sweet potatoes.
- Return to the oven for an additional 20-25 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and apples and sweet potatoes are tender.
More from food