Try French Toast Baked or Stuffed
When I'm in the rare mood for a big sweet breakfast, it's almost always basic French toast for me (rather than pancakes or waffles). I'll make it with stale challah or brioche soaked in a vanilla-egg-milk mixture and griddled, and serve it with grade B maple syrup.
But frankly, I'm almost never in this mood. I'm much more likely to make French toast for a crowd for holiday mornings or brunch. In those cases, I want something a little more showy and decadent, full of ripe fruit or melty cheese. Or I'd like a make-ahead recipe that serves a crowd, so I can just heat it up in the morning. Or, ideally, both. That's where stuffed and baked French toast recipes come into the picture.
Image by xiaoyinli
Stuffed French Toast Recipes
Stuffed French toast is dressed to impress. You cut a pocket in a double-wide piece of bread, or take two slices and make a sandwich. Stuff it with melty cheese, or delectable fruit -- or maybe both. Aw, yeah.
- Amanda at I am mommy stuffs a rainbow of fruit into a French toast loaf.
- Sarah at Sarah's Cucina Bella makes her banana-stuffed French toast with challah bread.
- Josh and Maria at Two Peas and Their Pod stuff their French toast with berries and melty Brie.
- Susan at Foodblogga gently spikes her blueberry and ricotta stuffed French toast with orangey Cointreau liqueur.
- Dawn at Wicked Good Dinner makes mascarpone-stuffed French toast fritters with orange and amaretto, and asks: "Is it French toast; is it a sweet grilled cheese; is it a Monte Cristo, is it a fritter?"
- Nicole at Baking Bites goes after my savory-loving heart with a French toast and bacon sandwich.
- And BlogHer member miavitadolce makes the ultimate chocolate lover's breakfast -- chocolate-stuffed French toast.
Baked: French Toast Casseroles
Baked French toast is the ultimate make-ahead convenience: Throw it in a dish overnight and toss it in the oven in the morning. But that doesn't mean it's not a very, very, very good way to feed a crowd in the morning:
- BlogHer member cheryldlee uses sweet Hawaiian bread in her French toast casserole.
- David Leite at Leite's Culinaria puts nuts and raisins in his deep dish brioche French toast.
- BlogHer member spoonwhiskspatulas puts cream cheese in her baked triple berry French Toast casserole.
- Sandy, the Reluctant Entertainer, makes a breakfast pear-vanilla French toast casserole that I want to jump into and holler "Cannonball!"
- Steph at A Year of Slow Cooking makes the ultimate set-it-and-forget-it recipe: a Crock-Pot French toast bake.
- Meg at Whatever … caramelizes sugar on the bottom of the casserole dish for a sweet upside-down French toast.
- And at Macaroni and Cheesecake, the French toast is stuffed AND baked.
What's your favorite French toast recipe?
More from food