Quick, 1-bowl meals are a weeknight staple around here. When I was younger, I couldn't imagine eating everything all mixed together. I was one of those picky kids who had to have space between every food on my plate; nothing could touch. If it did, watch out, I would throw a fit and refuse to eat the food. My, how times have changed. I absolutely love to eat mixed food bowls, as seen here, here, and here. Those 1-bowl/1-pot meals are my favorite. They are so easy to prepare and the flavors meld together so well. They are also very easily customizable to whatever ingredients you have on hand. This Mediterranean Bulgur Bowl can just as easily be modified to an Italian version with mozzarella, pesto, tomatoes, spinach, and basil. In fact, I made a larger quantity of bulgur and did just that.
What other flavor combinations do you like for your 1-pot meals? Share your favorite recipes in the comments - I'd love to try new ones out!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: Serves 4
- 1 cup bulgur
- 16 oz bag of spinach
- 1-8oz can of chickpeas
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- 4 tablespoons hummus
- 1/2 cup feta
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- optional: 1 red onion, dash of olive oil, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 tablespoon paprika
- Cook bulgur according to package directions: add 1 cup of water and 1 cup bulgur to a pot. Add a bit of salt and bring to a boil. Turn down to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes, until most water is absorbed. If need be, strain out any remaining water.
- Add spinach to bulgur and cover with lid to wilt. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Chop tomatoes and mint, and add to the pot of bulgur.
- Add drained chickpeas, 4 tablespoons of humus, and 1/2 cup crumbled feta to pot, and mix well to combine. Squeeze lemon juice over.
- Serve immediately, or chilled.
More from food