Since this summer was full of a crazy busy work schedule and my sister's wedding, I didn't blog much at all. So I missed posting some awesome cakes I put together for two very special occasions!
The first was my dear sister's wedding!
I bought the cake stand on Kijiji (it was brand new!) and the D is my sister's purchase. The bottom three layers are fake with the top being real to allow them to cut into something! The banding is from fabricland and the pearls are Wilton.
I also made cupcakes for my sisters wedding
To the left are Triple Citrus with a lemon glaze and to the right are my favourite Raspberry pistachio with a raspberry Swiss merguine buttercream (aka lots of butter!)The Recipe for the raspberry pistachio cupcakes:
Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners; coat liners with cooking spray. In a food processor, finely grind shelled pistachios with the sugar and salt. Add butter, vanilla, and eggs: process until smooth. Add flour; pulse until just moistened and combined; do not overmix.
- Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each three-quarters full. Drop raspberries into batter (4 to 6 per standard cupcake). Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until golden brown, about 28 minutes for standard cupcakes. Transfer tins to wire racks to cool.
- Combine sugar and egg whites in mixer bowl, and set over a pan of simmering water. Whisk constantly until sugar is dissolved and mixture registers 140 degrees on an instant-read thermometer.
- Transfer bowl to mixer; whisk on medium-high speed until whites are fluffy and cooled, about 10-15 minutes. Continue to whisk until stiff, glossy peaks form. BE PATIENT!!
- Reduce speed to medium-low; add butter by the tablespoon, whisking well after each addition. Whisk in vanilla. Add raspberries a few at a time until all are mixed in. Do not over mix.
- When using to decorate, the raspberries will clog your tip. Use a large tip to begin with, and keep a toothpick handy
The second "cake" I made was for Lil B's Birthday party. I decided to do cupcakes this time.
We did a pirate theme. I found the cake wrappers and lil tooth pick flags at Dollarama, the decorations at a local dollar store/party store and made the cupcake decorations from fondant cut outs. The icing on the chocolate cupcakes was peanut butter frosting from Duncan Hines website and was a huge hit! It is my go to receipe for frosting!
Interested in learning how to decorate cakes? I suggest the Wilton classes available through Michaels or Bulk Barn.
More from food