This is the edible holiday gift I made this year for family, friends, and co-workers--homemade lemon curd! It was such an easy recipe (only 4 ingredients!), but it does take about 15 minutes of active time to make. This is the first time I've made lemon curd, and I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was. If you're reading this post, you should give it a try!
Before I was really into cooking, the sound of 'lemon curd' would not be appealing to me. I can't remember the first time I tried it, but I am really glad I did, because the stuff is amazingly delicious. It's perfect on scones, pancakes, as the filling for macarons, and on a host of other baked goods, or ice cream. Perfect for me, since I loved baked goods, and ice cream. :)
Prep Time: 3 mins Cook Time: 12 mins Total Time: 15 mins
- 8 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 4 large lemons)
- 1 cup sugar
- Melt the butter in a microwave safe bowl, approximately 1 minute on medium (’5′) power. Let the butter cool for another minute.
- In a very large microwave-safe bowl (I used the ceramic bowl from my slow-cooker), whisk together the butter and the 2 eggs until well-combined.
- Add in the lemon juice and the sugar and whisk until fully combined.
- Microwave the ingredients in 1-minute segments on full power. Remove the bowl from the oven and stir to combine after each minute. Cooking time will vary by microwave (anywhere from 4-12 minutes), but the curd will be done when it starts to thicken and coats the back of a spoon. It will start to ‘mound’ in the middle of the bowl, as well.
- Spoon it into a storage container (or if giving as gifts, into each individual container) and refrigerate until firm, or overnight.
- Keep refrigerated. Curd will last up to 3 weeks, or longer in the freezer.
More from food