Well guys, I’ve changed my mind. Just a few days ago, I was all ready for fall to start. Now, with grey clouds overhead and a sweater on, I want my summer back! Don’t get me wrong, I still love fall. But I also really love summer, and more specifically, summer food, and more more specifically, summer produce.
Correction. Like beautiful, multi-colored, heirloom tomatoes.
Sometimes you just have to let good food be. These perfect summer sweets don’t need much to dress them up. We’re talking simple diamond studs, not a big bauble necklace, glitzy bracelet, blinged out watch, and hot pink heels. They just don’t need it! Ok, maybe I’ll give you the hot pink heels…
Good quality ingredients paired with good quality produce. That’s all you need!
I sliced these tomatoes thick and whipped up a batch of Basil Garlic Oil to drizzle over the top. Then, I tossed some super fresh mozzarella (get the kind that is stored in liquid if you can) in extra virgin olive oil, more basil, and red pepper flakes.
Stack ‘em up. Drizzle with basil oil. Top with mozzarella.
In addition to being super fresh and flavorful, this is a pretty fun dish to eat! It’s kind of like cutting into the leaning tower of Piza! You are never too old to play with your food!
- 3 large heirloom tomatoes, any color
- 1/2 cup fresh mozzarella
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- For basil garlic oil:
- 2 cups loosely packed basil leaves
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/3 cup good extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt & pepper
- Slice the tomatoes into about 1-1 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Prepare the basil garlic oil. Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
- Stir the fresh mozzarella with the dried basil, red pepper flake, and evoo.
- Stack tomatoes. Drizzle with basil garlic oil. Top with marinated mozzarella.
More from food