Have you ever made homemade flour tortillas? My first attempt is here before you. It requires a little elbow grease but well worth the effort. There is nothing like flour being turned into a delicious hand held meal. Now this recipe is the quick and easy version. I know there are many out there that use lard and kneading and allowing it to rest but I don’t have time for this right now. If you want them to be very close to store bought this is not the recipe for you. If you want something made with your hands and more like flatbread, then you have come to the right place.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup warm water (may need a little more to make it stick together, add in small amounts till somewhat sticky but not too much where it’s sticking to your hands and not gooey)
- 1: Place flour, salt, vegetable oil, and warm water in bowl and mix until it forms a dough (must use warm to hot water)
- 2: Do your best to roll or smash into a ball
- 3: Divide into 12 somewhat equal pieces (not an exact science)
- 4: Sprinkle work surface with flour (Use just enough flour when rolling out each piece)
- 5: With a rolling pin, roll out one piece at a time. Keep remaining dough covered with plastic wrap or just work quickly
- 6: Move the rolling pin around the dough smoothing out a section and pick up the dough and turning each time after you roll out a new section. Roll till you like the size. Does not have to be perfect.
- 7: Always add a bit more flour when rolling out next piece because the dough will stick to the surface if not lightly coated in flour
- 8: Try not to stack too many on top of each other. I did this and a few of the pieces got moist and did not cook as well
- 9: Heat a pan on medium to high heat for 2 minutes (large enough to fit one tortilla)
- 10: Place tortilla in pan and cook for approximately 1-2 minutes per side
- 11: Watch carefully because as the pan heats up the tortillas cook quickly. At first you will need slightly longer than two minutes and then quickly you will need less per side.
- 12: After a couple of tortillas have cooked the pan will have browned, so wipe out the pan with a dry paper towel and continue cooking remaining tortillas
- 13: Stack and serve with some simple ingredients such as avocado, tomato, lime juice and cilantro
Recipe adapted from Cooks.com
More from food