Do you ever have one of those weeks where you’re never quite sure what day it is? For example, every day this week I have thought it was actually the next day. I was positive it was Wednesday on Tuesday. I did my Thursday gym routine on Wednesday (yes, I have different activities for each day of the week, don’t judge!), and worst of all…I got to work today thinking it was Friday. There aren’t many things worse than thinking, believing, feeling, that it’s Friday and then coming to the harsh realization that it is in fact, not.
Image: Courtesy of Sugar, Spice, and Bacon
But, I suppose I’ll make it through. Mostly with the help of this salad for lunch!
I really like Greek Salad. What I don’t like is how salad leaves get soggy. You see, as much as I’d love to have time to make something for lunch each morning, I jut don’t. Between the gym and the blow-dryer, I’m barely running out the door in time. So it really helps to make a big batch of something delicious and nutritious that I can easily grab on my way out the door.
This salad has all the goodness of Greek salad in every bite, plus the soggy-free and protein- and fiber-packed benefit of bulgur. Doesn’t get much better than that!
- 1 cup bulgur, uncooked
- 1/2 english cucumber, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup fat-free feta cheese
- For the Dressing:
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Cook bulgur according to package instructions. Set aside to cool.
- Combine chopped and halved vegetables in a large bowl. Stir in bulgur.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Drizzle over salad.
- Top with feta and toss well.
More from food