You will need:
1 & 1/2 lbs. fresh green beans
4 tbsp. butter, divided
2 tbsp. finely chopped vidalia onion
4 oz. baby portobello mushrooms, cleaned and finely chopped (about 2 tbsp.)
2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 cup sour cream
freshly ground black pepper to taste
salt to taste
1 & 1/2 cups corn flakes
1/2 lb. grated mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil over medium heat.
- Add fresh green beans and cook until just tender, but still firm. Approximately 5-7 minutes.
- Remove green beans from water and place in large bowl of ice water to preserve color and stop cooking.
- Drain green beans and set aside.
- Melt 2 tbsp. butter in large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add chopped onions and cook until translucent.
- Stir in mushrooms and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Saute mushrooms 3-5 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir for another minute to cook out the raw flour taste and whisk in the sour cream.
- Simmer a few minutes to bring flavors together and taste for seasoning.
- Add a small amount of water to make a more soupy consistency and mix in the mozzarella cheese.
- Cut the green beans into 2 inch pieces.
- Melt remaining 2 tbsp. butter in small pan.
- Crush the corn flakes in a plastic bag and add them to the pan with butter. Toss to coat well.
- Spread green beans in bottom of 9 inch casserole baking dish.
- Pour all mushroom mixture over green beans and mix well together.
- Top with buttered corn flakes.
- Bake at 400 degrees until light brown and bubbly, approximately 20 minutes.
This recipe was shared by my sister-in-law, Dawn. She brought this one to Mother’s Day dinner and everyone raved about it. Very good stuff! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe, Dawn. It was wonderful!
More from food