Well, I have to admit, I have treated myself with this simple recipe a couple of times already. The first time was experimental. Then the next time was for blog photos. Then, the next time and the next time…well, those were because I love this fall smoothie in the morning.
I love traditional indulgences also. But I can honestly say that I have found ways to truly adore and savor my food choices without sacrificing good nutrition. The real thing is worth it on occasion, sure. But since I love eating, I cannot settle for indulging my palate on only rare occasions. I will not compromise taste!
So, I am already replaying one of the seasonal smoothies that I came up with last year. I couldn’t wait for the right time and it has arrived! It’s easy and fast since school day mornings mean we have to keep moving along. And ultimately it’s super satisfying to my health, taste buds and hankering for fall flavors!
So, here it is! The seasonal smoothie of choice in the Oldham home:
Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
This is the perfect fall smoothie! Too much pie can go to your hips but you don’t need to deny yourself with this scrumptious treat! It is creamy, light and nourishing.
- 1 cup non-dairy milk – I have used both unsweetened almond and coconut milk
- ½ cup canned pumpkin—I like to freeze some pumpkin in ice cube trays for this recipe
- ½ banana—again, I like to freeze some over ripe bananas and use that
- ½ – 1 tsp pure maple syrup
- ½ ts p pure vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp ground ginger
- pinch each of ground nutmeg, cloves and ginger
- 2 tsp milled flax or chia seed
- Place everything in the blender. (we have a Magic Bullet donated by my sister who never uses it….it works great!)
- Blend until smooth
- Pour into your favorite glass
- Sprinkle with cinnamon if you’d like!
Enjoy! No really, if you are a pumpkin lover…..enjoy!
If you are not quite satisfied with a smoothie, this alongside a crisp fall apple or pear or with a thin slice of whole grain bread spread with a couple teaspoons of a natural nut butter will fill you.
I have referred to this as a breakfast smoothie. But, it’s truly a treat any time of day. In fact, I actually often prefer a green smoothie in the morning and then might come back for something like this at lunchtime or for a mid-afternoon snack. See how it fits into your fall food routine!
I would LOVE to hear what you think of this smoothie.
Tastefully Satisfied….as always!
More from food