I’m a huge fan of roasted vegetables.
They’re easy, versatile, flavorful and make for amazing leftovers.
You can blend them with chickpeas to make hummus, add them to a salad, eat them plain, or stick them in between 2 slices of gluten-free bread for a quick sandwich.
They must have known I was coming, because we ate a lot of roasted veg at Yasodhara ashram, including this eggplant and zucchini grain bowl.
Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free, Sugar free, Yeast free, Corn free
Fall brings with it a craving for warm grain bowls topped with squash and a touch of coconut oil. This yasodhara inspired bowl hit the spot for me over the weekend!
Yield: 1 cup cooked grains and 6 cups roasted vegetables
Servings: 4 servingsIngredients
- 1/4 cup millet, rinsed
- 1/4 cup buckwheat, rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 1 eggplant, sliced
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp apple juice
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp mustard seed
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 4 tsp extra virgin coconut oil (optional)
- Place all marinaded veggies ingredients in a large bowl. Cover, and place in the fridge for 1 hour (optional – just makes the flavors combine nicely)
- Once marinaded, place on a baking sheet lined with parchment or a silicon baking mat. Cook in a preheated oven at 375F for 50 minutes, stirring once.
- Meanwhile, combine grains and water in a medium sized saucepan. Cover, bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and allow to cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and keep the lid on until ready to use.
- Once veggies are ready, portion out rice and place veggies over top. Sprinkle with Herbamare and add an optional 1 tsp extra virgin coconut oil to each bowl.
calories: 334 | fat: 5g | carbohydrates: 60g | fiber: 15g | sugars: 7g | protein: 15g
We had these bowls for dinner last night and they were a huge success. Kevin had his with chicken and I stirred in a couple tablespoons of sweet almond spread for good measure. I’d have to say that combining these two yasodhara recipes is right up there with awesome!
More from food