CREAM CHEESE WHIPPED CREAM:
3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup cold whipping cream
GUAVE CANE SYRUP:
- 1 cinnamon stick
1 cup whole milk
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 eggs
12 slices Cuban or French bread, 1 1/2 inches thick
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 tablespoons vegetable oil, for frying
- Fresh mint sprigs, for garnish
1. Beat the cream cheese with the vanilla until smooth . Add the whipping cream and whip to soft peaks. Set aside while you make the torrejas.
2. Combine Cane Sugar chunks and cinnamon stick in a saucepan and simmer until melted. Then set aside and let cool. Remove cinnamon stick and reheat while stirring in guava jam until smoothly blended. Serve warm.
3. Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F. Whisk together the milk, sugar, cinnamon and eggs in a shallow bowl until smooth. Place the bread slices in a shallow dish and pour the egg mixture on top.While the bread soaks, heat 2 tablespoons of the butter and 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large saute pan.
4. Fry the bread in batches until golden brown on the bottom. Lower the heat slightly, flip the bread and cook until the bottoms are golden brown and the bread is cooked through as well. Keep warm in the oven while you make the remaining bread
To serve, smear some cream cheese whipped cream on each piece of warm bread. Top with some of the guava cane syrup.
More from food