Cornbread is one of the most versatile breads around. It can be made savory to sweet, with added meat, vegetables or fruit. It can be made with buttermilk, sour cream, milk, or as in this recipe with cream cheese and crème fraiche. However you decide to make it, cornbread is delicious and nutritious.
Cornbread can be enjoyed alone, with a smear of butter and/or a drizzle of honey. It can be enjoyed for breakfast with scrambled eggs, for lunch with a salad, or for dinner with a hearty bowl of chili. However you decide to have this cake-like bread, enjoy it to the fullest!
Come; take a comfortable seat at our cozy table. Dinner is served!
This recipe makes a large 11 x 14 size baking pan.
Note: Take out middle rack from oven, preheat oven to 400 degrees, and generously butter the baking pan. Glass/Pyrex was used for this recipe.
6 extra-large eggs
2 cups golden-brown sugar
1 cup (2-cubes) salted butter, softened at room temperature
1 cup [whipped] cream cheese, softened at room temperature
1 cup crème fraiche, room temperature (sour cream can be used instead)
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons vanilla
- In a bowl, mixer set on high speed, beat eggs and sugar for 4 minutes.
- Add softened butter and beat, on medium speed, for 2 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and beat, on low speed, for 1 minute.
Note: Have the next ingredients already mixed together in a bowl.
Beaten mixture from steps 1
2 [level] cups yellow cornmeal
2 [mounded] cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup buttermilk powder
2 tablespoons baking powder
- With a sturdy spatula or spoon incorporate the [already mixed] dry ingredients, one-cup-at-a-time, to the beaten mixture from steps 1, mixing well after each addition.
- Pour the well blended batter into the prepared baking pan, spreading evenly.
- Replace the cool rack back into the middle of the oven, place the cornbread pan in the center of rack, and close the oven door. Immediately lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake cake for about 45 to 50 minutes, or until the cake is golden and cracked and has pulled away from the sides, or a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Cook with heart; eat with gusto. Buen Provecho!
More from food