Easter makes me think of chocolate bunnies, sugar-shaped chickens and coconut in various forms. About 10 years ago I clipped this recipe from a magazine (sorry, I can’t remember where so I’m unable to give source credit!) This weekend I decided to color a bit of coconut and nest some peeps on top. We thoroughly enjoyed the fresh flavor of this cake with a cup of coffee while the kids devoured the peeps!
Cool & Creamy Coconut Cake
1 pkg white cake mix
1/3 c. vegetable oil
1 can (15 oz.) Cream of Coconut
1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
1/2 cup toasted coconut
1 (8 oz. or 12 oz.) container whipped topping
1. Prepare cake mix as directed on box and bake in a 9×13-inch pan.
2. While the cake is in the oven, whisk together cream of coconut and condensed milk in a bowl; set aside. 3. In another bowl, fold together 1 ½ cups coconut and whipped topping; set aside.
4. Cool cake on wire rack for 10 minutes. Poke holes in cake with the handle of a wooden spoon, about every 1 ½ inches.
5. Slowly pour or spoon condensed milk mixture over the top of the cake, filling each hole.
6. Let the cake rest for 15 minutes and spread whipped topping mixture evenly over cake.
7. Sprinkle with ½ cup toasted coconut
8. Refrigerate overnight and cut into 12 or 16 servings.
~~Angie @ www.mothersapronstrings.com~~
More from food