Double Vanilla Pots de Creme (Dessert Episode)
Servings: 6 Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 35-45 minutes Chill time: 6-8 hours
1 ¼ cups heavy whipping cream
⅓ cup non-fat milk
¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
½ tsp. Lafaza Ground Vanilla Bean Powder
½ tsp. Lafaza Double Fold Vanilla Extract
3 egg yolks
Preheat oven to 300º.
1) Combine cream, milk, and half of the sugar in a medium saucepan. Heat mixture over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until the sugar has dissolved. *Do not boil. Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in vanilla bean powder & vanilla extract. Set aside.
2) Whisk the egg yolks and remaining sugar together in a large glass measuring pitcher. Slowly whisk a small amount of the warm cream mixture into the yolks to temper them. Continue adding more warm cream until all of it has been incorporated. You will have about 2 cups of vanilla creme.
3) Pour the vanilla creme equally into individual serving glass or ceramic cups, filling about half way (approx. 1/3 cup per serving for 6 servings).
4) Place the filled pot de creme cups in a deep baking pan. Create a water bath by filling the pan with warm water to halfway around the cups. Cover the cups with a sheet of plastic wrap.
5) Carefully place the pan on the center rack of preheated oven, taking care not to slosh the water. Bake for 40-45 minutes. *The custard should be set but still jiggle slightly when done.
6) Slowly remove the pan from the oven taking great care not to slosh the hot water in the pan. Peel off the plastic wrap with a utensil. Use an oven mitt to remove each pot de creme from the pan to a cooling rack. Rest at least one hour or until cool.
7) Cover the top of each pot de creme with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 6-8 hours before serving. Enjoy plain or topped with fresh berries of your choice.
More from food