This dish is a cross between sweet and savory with avocado and chocolate: Coconut Panna Cotta with Avocado Mango Salad with a chocolate vinaigrette and it is goooood.
It’s also easy and can be made ahead… you heat coconut milk and coconut cream, combine with gelatin and whipped cream and pour it into molds, ramekins or a pan to set and that’s it. Then you can ‘taste test’ your whole way down the end of the pan.
Unmold or lift pieces out with a spatula and put on a plate. Top with salad (and strawberry brunoise (teeny tiny dice) if so inclined) and drizzle chocolate vinaigrette.
Yield: about 8 servingsIngredients:Directions:
13.5 oz coconut milk (1 can)
15 oz cream of coconut (1 can)
1 cup heavy cream, whipped
2 packets gelatin, bloom in 5 Tbsp water
2 avocados, medium dice
2 mangos, medium dice
3/4 cup strawberry brunoise (optional)
4-5 limes, juiced 4 Tbsp olive oil (the good stuff)
1.5 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
pinch sea salt
pinches Maldon salt
- combine coconut milk and cream in a sauce pan and heat until just bubbling at the edges; remove from heat and cool over bowl of ice water
- whisk in gelatin and whipped cream
- pour into molds or a pan and refrigerate until set, about 2 - 4 hours
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave at about 20 second increments, stirring; allow to cool slightly
- Whisk chocolate into lime juice (reserving a tablesoon or two), add a pinch of sea salt and whisk in olive oil slowly to emulsify
- Toss avocado and mango with reserved lime juice
- to plate, unmold or place piece of panna cotta on the plate, top with avocado and mango salad, garnish with strawberry brunoise and a cordon of vinaigrette; finish with a sprinkle of Maldon salt
More from food