Dinner tonight was Chicken Noodle Soup. The following is not an exact recipie, I'm afraid. The idea was to use as much of the free stuff I had as possible. Anything marked with an astrix (*) was from the food bank.
Important thing to note about using freebies: learn to think technique, not recipies. If you learn basic techniques and are not afraid to be creative, no matter what you have you can eat well.
- 2 Large chicken breasts, bone in *
- Celery Sticks*
- Fennel stalks (the parts growing out the top of the bulb, including the feathery leaves)
- Leeks* (split in half and rinse, but do not chop)
- Chopped garlic
- Handful of fresh picked herbs - Thyme, Rosemary, Parsley, and Marjoram
- Whole peppercorns
Bring all ingredients to a boil in a large pot with about two quarts water. Cover to help it boil faster. Simmer 30-45 minutes unil the chicken is done. Remove chicken, reserving one breast for a later meal. Cool, de-bone and chop chicken coarsly. Strain out and discard the remaining ingredients, reserving the broth for the soup.
- Cooked, chopped chicken from one large, whole breast
- Reserved broth
- Assorted chopped vegetables, to taste: carrot*, leek*, celery*, parsnip, and sugar snap peas* where used.
- 4 oz. small pasta (stars in this case)
- Croutons (recipie follows)
Return reserved broth to a simmer. Add all ingredients except pasta, peas (if you are using them) and croutons. When soup has simmered about 10 minutes, add the pasta. Break up the pea pods into bite-sized pieces. Add to soup about 5 mnutes after the pasta. Cook 5 minutes until peas are done. Serve in bowls topped with croutons.
- Whole Wheat Bread*, a little dry is good
- Italian Herb Mix
Heat oven to 300 degrees. Cut bread into cubes and place in a plastic bag. Sprinkle on Herb Mix and shake to coat. Place bread cubes on a baking tray. Toast about 10 minutes until cubes are dry.
More from food