Starbucks' Chai Tea Latte is one of my favorite hot drinks (one of many). When the craving hits me at home I have a simple cheat for a mock Starbucks Chai Tea Latte that only takes about 2 minutes to make:
- Chai Tea (I like Equal Exchange because I know it is ethically sourced)
- Vanilla Almond Milk (or Vanilla Soy, Hemp, Flax, Rice, or Oat milk or any other plant milk* you can think of)
- Pour a mug of Vanilla Milk.
- Add a chai tea bag.
- Heat until almost boiling (This is 1 minute 45 seconds in the mug pictured in my microwave, but times will vary - it's not a big deal if you hit the boiling point, but you don't want it to boil over or boil so long the flavors change).
- Sweeten if desired (I don't find it necessary to sweeten mine).
- Garnish (if desired) with ground cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, or ethically sourced coco powder to taste.
Loose Leaf Directions:
- If you are using loose leaf tea, heat the milk to almost boiling first.
- Steep tea via preferred method for 3 minutes.
- Follow steps 4 and 5 above.
Enjoy an extra $4.00 in your pocket!
Baking Tip: Substitute this cheater latte for milk in baking recipes for a delicious Chai twist like in these Vanilla Spice Muffins.
*DO NOT USE COW MILK - the flavor profile of cow milk changes too much when heated. Plus, cow milk has pus in it which is gross. And there's the cruelty thing. But believe me, this recipe will not come out the same with cow milk.
More from food