Happy Birthday Mom!
Last year my niece Molly and I were at my parent’s home in the great Pacific NW celebrating my Mom’s birthday with her and baking a carrot cake for the special day.
The recipe for the carrot cake is one of my Mother’s that I have been baking for special celebrations for many years.
Mom, I wish I was with you this year; I would bake you a cake, prepare one of your favorite meals and give you lots of hugs!
But alas I am at home in the Carolina’s thinking about you, waiting for my grandbaby to be born, it still could be today on your Birthday!
Just waiting for the call or txt from our Princess Brenda to tell us she is in labor, OMG we are all so excited.
So Happy Happy Birthday Mommy, we love you!
Kary Sue, Doug, Brad, Brenda, Nate, Avery and Jake!
Here’s my recipe for Carrot Cake or cupcakes originally posted April 22, 2011.
Over the years I have decreased the amount of sugar, adding applesauce and reducing the amount of oil, but basically this is my Mom’s recipe, always delicious and moist.
Nana Huffman's Carrot Cake
• 2 cups of all-purpose flour
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 2 teaspoons baking soda
• 1 teaspoon of salt
– If you are using self-rising flour you can omit the salt
• 2 teaspoons cinnamon
– More if you like
• 4 eggs
• 1 cup salad oil
• 1 cup applesauce
• 1 cup of sugar
• 2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups of raw carrots grated
– I grate the carrots on the large part of the grater
Options to add to the batter:
Raisins- sometimes I toss in about 1 cup
Walnuts- toast ½ cup and add
• Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
• Select one of the following
– A cake pan 9 by 13 by 2 inch
– Two 9 x 12 inch cake pans
– Or line cupcake baking sheets, makes 24
• In a separate bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Set aside
• In a large bowl using an electric mixer or hand mixer add one egg at a time until blended; slowly add the sugar and mix
• Pour in the oil and blend, than blend in the vanilla
• Next mix in the applesauce or crushed pineapple
• Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt (if adding) and mix together
• Using a spoon mix in the grated carrots
– If you are adding Walnuts and or raisins do so at this time
8 ½ by 11 bake on 325 decrees for 50 to 60 minutes
Two 9 x 12 inch cake pans bake for 30 to 35 minutes
Cupcakes bake about 20 minutes
Cakes and cupcake will be done when toothpick is inserted and comes out clean, no batter showing on the toothpick.
More from food