For some reason I’ve been feeling like it should be vacation time; maybe it’s the warm weather? Unfortunately the reality is this is not, nor will it be anytime soon, the moment for a vacation!
I had picked up some lovely cherry tomatoes, red and green peppers, limes and cucumbers at the farmers market that were sitting in my veggie basket waiting…suddenly I thought; what about salsa! A Caribbean inspired salsa! At least we could eat like we were on vacation…….
So I popped up to the market and picked up a few fresh shrimp, scallops and fresh white corn tortillas. I really don’t think tortillas are Caribbean but I wanted a base for the shrimp, scallops and salsa; something with a bit of crunch and the fresh tortillas were calling to me!
Here’s the finished product which my husband declared really good and a keeper recipe.
Caribbean Shrimp & Scallops with Yellow and Red Pepper Lime Salsa
4 Fresh 6 inch White Corn Tortillas
1 Tablespoon + ¼ Teaspoon Jerk Seasoning
4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
½ Yellow Pepper (finely chopped)
½ Red Pepper (finely chopped)
1 Cup Cherry Tomatoes (quartered)
¼ Cup Cucumber (finely chopped)
4 Green Onions (finely chopped)
16 Shrimp (peeled and deveined)
16 Scallops of medium size
Salt & Pepper
- Mix together yellow Pepper, red pepper, green onions, tomatoes and cucumber.
- Zest the limes and reserve the zest for the finished dish.
- Juice one lime and mix into the vegetables then sprinkle with salt and pepper; mix again.
- Juice the second lime into a small bowl; add the jerk seasoning, shrimp and scallops.
- Brush tortilla with olive oil and sprinkle with the ¼ teaspoon jerk seasoning.
- Grill the tortillas on high heat until golden browned and slightly crispy.
- Grill the shrimp and scallops on high heat just until cooked through; do not overcook!
- Place one tortilla on a plate, put one scoop of the salsa in the center of the tortilla.
- Arrange 4 shrimp and 4 scallops in a circle around the salsa.
- Sprinkle a bit of the zest on top of the salsa and serve.
Unfortunately, with two kids in university, this is about as close as we are going to get to a Caribbean vacation for quite a while!
At least we’ll always have Caribbean Shrimp & Scallops with Yellow and Red Pepper Lime Salsa!
More from food