Alas, there are only so many tomato salads to arrange, loaves of zucchini bread to bake, and peaches to eat out of hand. If you've got summer produce you don't know what to do with—or if you just want to try some new food techniques and have a taste of summer later in the year—follow these blogs for expert advice on canning, pickling, and preserving.
Sean Timberlake's community site and blog for preserving enthusiasts is the very first place to go to find techniques and recipes for canning, cheesemaking, charcuterie, and lots and lots of jam—among many, many other techniques. Melon chips, anyone?
- Follow Punk Domestics on BlogHer
- Follow Punk Domestics on Facebook
- Follow Punk Domestics on Twitter
- Follow Punk Domestics on Google Plus
- Follow Pure Grace Farms on BlogHer
- Follow Pure Grace Farms on Facebook
- Follow Pure Grace Farms on Twitter
- Follow Pure Grace Farms on Pinterest
Joelyn's blog takes on home cooking from the lens of the incredible diversity of the food in her home city. Her canning posts are very thorough and great for beginners—start with rundown of canning supplies you need.
- Follow What's Cookin', Chicago? on BlogHer
- Follow What's Cookin', Chicago? on Facebook
- Follow What's Cookin', Chicago? on Twitter
- Follow What's Cookin', Chicago? on Pinterest
Pickle queen Karen Solomon is the author of Asian Pickles: Sweet, Sour, Salty, Cured, and Fermented Preserves from Korea, Japan, China, India, and Beyond
, as well as two other DIY cooking project books, Jam It, Pickle It, Cure It and Can It, Bottle It, Smoke It. She geerously shares recipes on her blog—try the paneer-stuffed pickled chiles.
- Follow Karen on Twitter
- Follow Karen on Facebook
- Follow Karen on Pinterest
- Follow Karen on Instagram
This blog co-created by Hetal and Anuja is mostly about Indian home cooking—and it has an outstanding section on pickles and chutneys. Don't miss their awesome video tutorials.
- Follow Show Me The Curry on BlogHer
- Follow Show Me The Curry on Facebook
- Follow Show Me The Curry on Twitter
- Follow Show Me The Curry on Pinterest
- Follow Show Me The Curry on YouTube
Jami lives with her family in a "semi-rural area" in the Willamette Valley in Oregon. Her blog is all about gardening, cooking, and remodeling her sweet country cottage. Gardeners and microfarmers should check out her "ultimate guides" to growing, harvesting, cooking, and preserving everything from rhubarb to onions.
- Follow An Oregon Cottage on BlogHer
- Follow An Oregon Cottage on Facebook
- Follow An Oregon Cottage on Twitter
- Follow An Oregon Cottage on Pinterest
- Follow An Oregon Cottage on Instagram
Do you follow any blogs with wonderful canning, preserving, or pickling recipes? Share them in the comments!
More from food