Inspired by the light and fresh flavors of California cuisine, the California Quinoa Bowl includes all sorts of fresh and delicious flavors mixed together into one amazing meal. The base for this tasty vegetarian dish is creamy quinoa and peas combination that’s topped with layers of flavor and texture ranging from crunchy walnuts to creamy tofu to crispy broccoli. Best of all, the oven does the majority of the work for this easy meal, so all you really have to do is enjoy eating it!
California Quinoa Bowl
Click Here for Printable Recipe
Roasted Tofu & Vegetables:
3 ounces lite firm tofu ( I always use Mori Nu)
1 tablespoon walnut halves
2 ounces shiitake mushroom caps, halved (about 1 cup)
2 ounces cremini mushrooms, quartered (about 3/4 cup)
3 ounces broccoli florets (about 1 cup)
4 radishes, ends trimmed and halved
1/2 cup grape tomatoes
1 teaspoon grapeseed oil
2 teaspoons gluten free soy sauce
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
Salt & Pepper
Dash of crushed red pepper flakes
Quinoa & Toppings:
1/2 cup cooked quinoa (simply follow the cooking directions on box)
1 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon nonfat plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup frozen peas, defrosted
1/4 teaspoon lime juice
1 tablespoon scallions, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
Salt & Pepper
Hot Sauce, to taste
1. Wrap tofu piece (1/4 of a 12 ounce block) in a few layers of paper towels and squeeze gently to remove excess moisture. Place tofu on a small cutting board lined with multiple layers of paper towels, then add a few more layers of paper towels over tofu, and place a heavy plate or bowl on top. Weigh plate down with a heavy box or can.
2. Press tofu for 25-30 minutes, then uncover. Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line a large, rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with olive oil spray. Cut tofu into 8 cubes.
3. Place tofu cubes on one side of prepared baking sheet. Arrange walnuts, mushrooms, broccoli, radishes, and grape tomatoes on the opposite side. Drizzle soy sauce on top of tofu and gently stir to coat tofu in sauce.
4. In a small dish, whisk together oil, soy sauce, and balsamic vinegar until combined. Drizzle dressing over vegetables and tofu, then season with salt, pepper, & red pepper flakes. Gently stir to mix ingredients, keeping the tofu separated on one side, and rearranging in a single layer once mixed. Place baking sheet in oven and roast for 15 minutes. Remove baking sheet from oven and stir vegetables. Carefully flip tofu cubes, then return baking sheet to oven and continue to roast 10-13 minutes more, or until tofu is lightly browned and vegetables are beginning to caramelize around the edges.
5. To assemble bowl, add cooked quinoa, Dijon, yogurt, peas, lime juice, scallions, parsley to serving bowl. Stir to combine ingredients, then season with salt and pepper.
6. Top quinoa mixture with roasted vegetables.
7. Arrange tofu on top of vegetables, then drizzle with hot sauce, to taste. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information--approximately 392 calories per serving (entire recipe)
More from food