I am a huge fan of broccoli cheese soup but rarely eat it. When I came across this
recipe, I knew I had to give it a try because it looked EASY and yummy....and it most definitely was.
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
1 small onion, diced
1/3 cup flour
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups milk
1 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
3 cups chopped, lightly steamed broccoli (I used frozen)
1. First, you need to steam your broccoli. You can use either fresh or frozen but if you use frozen, I recommend removing the "stumps" before cooking. The broccoli doesn't have to be steaming hot, just soft.
2. Simmer chicken broth and onion for 15 minutes in a small covered saucepan until the onions are soft
2. Warm the milk in microwave for 1-2 minutes.
3. In a medium-large pot, melt the butter then add flour, salt, and pepper. Stir constantly for 2 minutes then whisk in warm milk.
4. Heat on medium until soup starts to thicken (5-8 minutes)
5. Add chicken broth/onion mixture and stir until blended
6. Add cheeses and stir completely until melted
7. Stir in cookd broccoli
8. Add additional salt and pepper to taste and serve warm
*If your soup is to thick, add more milk or chicken broth. If it is too thin, simmer over low-medium heat and stir until it thickens up.