Mildly spice bottle gourd and tomato curry
Lauki /Bottle gourd is a summer special vegetable. It has excellent health and nutritional benefits and is very low in calories. Lauki is considered among the top recommended vegetables in Ayurveda as it is very quick and easy to digest so this is very good for sick and weak patients,you can give the boiled bottle gourd puree to small kids also .As it is very mild and blend in taste so you can do so many variation and experiments with this humble vegetable.It is also a low budget and very easily available vegetable so can be easily used and made regularly.
Prep time -10 min
Cooking time -10 min
Difficulty level - easy
Spice level - mild
Cuisine - North Indian
- Bottle gourd /lauki /gheeya- 550 gms
- Tomato/tamatar,chopped -200 gm (2 medium)
- Green chili /hari mirch, chopped- 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder /haldi - 1/2 tsp
- Salt /namak- 1 tsp
- Sugar /chini- 1/3 tsp
- Ghee or cooking oil- 2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds /jeera- 1tsp
- Asafoetida /hing- 1/3 tsp
- Fresh coriander/dhaniya - 1.5 tbsp
- Peel bottle gourd and chop in medium size pieces.
- Heat ghee or oil in the pressure cooker.
- When ghee become warm then add cumin seeds.
- When seeds start crackling add chopped green chilies and asafoetida.
- Now add chopped tomato and salt.
- Stir fry for few seconds.
- Add turmeric and chopped bottle gourd in the cooker.
- Add 1 cup of water in the vegetables and mix.
- Close the lid of pressure cooker and cook on medium heat .
- Cook for about 3-4 whistles or till it cooks completely.
- When cool down completely then open the cooker and mix sugar and chopped coriander.
- Mix and serve with a spoon of ghee on top.(optional)
Anjana Chaturvedi Author at Maayeka - An authentic Indian vegetarian cooking website Dubai, UAE "UAE's best vegetarian cooking website." - The National Featured in BBC Good Food, Bawarchi by Sify, GetaheadIndia, Nari
More from food