- 1 onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound of beef chuck, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1 cup barley
- 8 cremini mushrooms
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 3 small chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 7 cups water
- Salt and freshly cracked pepper
Sautee onions in vegetable oil over medium heat in a large pot until for about 5 minutes. Add the red wine, beef, chopped garlic and carrots. Sautee for an additional 8 minutes.
Then add barley, water, bouillon cubes, tomato paste, paprika, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low, and cook, half covered for approximately 30 minutes.
Season to taste!
More from food