Disclaimer: The reviewer has received the product/service at a reduced price or for free. All opinions are my own and are based on my own experience with the product.
Last night I made an apple pie using the new Swerve Sweetener I received in the mail. I had made the recipe I used about a month ago using cane sugar. Last night I altered the recipe slightly because I wanted to see how well the Swerve Sweetener worked in baking. My pie came out great and it tasted good too. Here is my apple pie with Swerve Sweetener recipe.
8 apples, cored and cut into wedges
1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla bean paste
4 tablespoons real butter
6 Tablespoons Swerve Sweetener
1 Tablespoon flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1. Melt the butter in a skillet.
2. Stir in the vanilla bean paste, add the cinnamon and mix well.
3. Add the apples to the pan, stirring as you go so they all get coated in the butter and vanilla mixture.
4. Sprinkle the Swerve Sweetener and flour on top of the apples.
5. Mix again and cook the apples over medium heat for five minutes.
6. Remove the pan from the heat.
7. Place the first pie crust in the bottom of the pie pan. Press the edges to the top of the pan. If you are using a pie crust that is pre-formed, you can skip this step.
8. Scoop the filling into the pie crust. Determine if you intend to add a second pie crust or bake it like it is.
9. Add the second crust to the top if desired and pinch the edges together. If you intend to bake it just like it is, remember you do need to cut a few slits in the top of the crust to vent it if you use a full pie crust on top. I chose to use miniature cookie cutters to cut shapes into the top of my pie crust dough, then used some of those shapes on top of the dough. A little water painted onto the back of the dough shapes with a food grade paintbrush helps them adhere to the crust. Another option is to make a lattice pie crust for the top. 10. Cover the edges of the pie crust with a pie crust cover or foil so it doesn’t burn while the rest of the pie is baking. 11. Place the pie in the oven and bake it. I bake my apple pie at 400 degrees for 25 minutes. The amount of time can vary depending on where you live and your oven. Pre-cooking the apples as we did allowed for less time baking the pie because the apples are already soft.
12. Remove from the oven when the pie is done. Allow it to cool. Slice and top with whipped cream.
Would you like to know even more about Swerve Sweetener or have a chance to talk to a company representative? Mark your calendar for the Mamavation #SWITCH2SWERVE Twitter Party on November 12th from 6-7:30pm PST (9-10:30pm EST) .
More from food