Despite having temperatures in the 90s last week, I wanted to celebrate the arrival of fall. Some of our trees have already lost their leaves and some are just starting to turn colors. I was in the mood to bake, so we tried making a new recipe.
What goes better with fall than apple cider? Apple cider donuts!
Image: Courtesy of Daily Messes
For the donuts, you will need:
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons apple cider
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sugar
2. Spray donut pan with a nonstick spray and set aside.
3. In a bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt.
4. In a separate bowl, mix together sugar and butter until combined.
5. Add egg and vanilla to sugar-butter and continue mixing.
6. Next, stir flour mixture into the sugar-butter-egg mixture.
7. Add in buttermilk and mix together.
8. Finally, add in apple cider and mix until it is just combined.
9. Fill donut pan about half full and baking for 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown.
10. Remove from oven and flip onto a cooling rack.
11. Mix the remaining cinnamon and sugar for the topping.
12. Once the donuts have cooled enough to touch, brush apple cider over the top and sides.
13. Dip donut into the cinnamon-sugar mix.
More from food