Monday night marked the premiere of ABC's Dancing With The Stars Season 14 and it was full of surprises. The biggest surprise? Most of these stars can really, really dance.
Celebrities this season are:
1. Maria Menounos, host on TV's EXTRA
2. Jack Wagner, daytime soap actor
3. Donald Driver, receiver for the Packers
4. Gavin Degraw, musician and chronic hat wearer
5. Roshon Fegan, actor on some Disney show
6. Sherri Sheperd, co-host on The View
7. Melissa Gilbert, Half-Pint on Little House On The Prairie
8. William Levy, Latin hot piece actor/model that is a huge telenovela star
9. Martina Navratilova, tennis legend
10. Katherine Jenkins, UK opera star that has sold 7 million records
11. Gladys Knight, Empress of Soul, music legend
12. Jaleel "Urkel" White, actor from Family Matters
The judges, Carrie Ann, Len, and Bruno, declared the Season 14 opener "The Best Ever" and no one scored below a 20 (total big deal). Katherine and Jaleel both received a 26 from the judges after dancing their foxtrot. They both took it back to a classic style, unlike Melissa Gilbert and Maks who danced their cha cha in what looked like black pleather dominatrix get ups and scored a 20.
The biggest surprise of the night? Ms. Gladys Knight! She is the oldest competitor this year at 67, but The Empress of Soul was praised by the judges for bringing "class and sass" to the dance floor. She informed the audience that she always wanted to dance with "The Pips" and would learn their routine, but they would never let her dance with them, ha! Too bad for them because Ms. Knight has got what it takes and very well could go the distance this season.
The first contestant to receive the boot will face elimination on next Tuesday’s show.
The full leaderboard was:
- Katherine Jenkins and Mark Ballas gracefully foxtroted to a 26/30 (She is gorgeous)
- Jaleel White and Kym Johnson were smooth with their foxtrot and earned 26/30 (He can DANCE)
- William Levy and Cheryl Burke were hot, hot, hot and cha cha'd a 24/30 (The audience went nuts for him)
- Gladys Knight and Tristan MacManus energetically danced the cha cha and scored 23/30 (She's 67!)
- Jack Wagner and Anna Trebunskaya clunked their way through the foxtrot and received a 23/30 (I felt like he was in slow motion)
- Roshon Fagan and Chelsie Hightower performed an electric, youthful cha cha and scored a 23/30 (Dude can dance)
- Sherri Shepherd and Val Chmerkoskiy danced a fun foxtrot and earned 23/30 (She's a mess, a fun mess)
- Maria Menounos and Derek Hough danced an uptight cha cha and scored a 21/30
- Donald Driver and Peta Murgatroyd were all over the place with their cha cha and earned 21/30 (the judges said he danced like a chicken!)
- Martina Navratilova and Tony Dovolani served up the foxtrot and received a 20/30 (She's better on the tennis court)
- Melissa Gilbert and Maksim Chmerkovskiy were disappointing and cha cha’d up a 20/30 (Note to Maks: we get it, you have muscles. Now button your shirt.)
- Gavin DeGraw and Karina Smirnoff danced a sad little foxtrot and earned a 20/30 (He danced in his hat, blah.)
Tune in next Monday night on ABC as the contestants dance the quickstep and the jive.
So, did you watch? Who were your favorites? (I like Jaleel and Gladys.) Who do you think will be eliminated next week? (Sorry, Martina.)
Hang onto your hat (side eye to Gavin DeGraw), it's going to be a fantastic season on DWTS!
More from entertainment