Today is February 29th - Leap Day! I have never done anything to celebrate this 'holiday' but since I feel the need to romance and date my husband, I decided I would surprise him with a Leap-ful day after he gets home from work. This will be our very first leap year officially together. We actually started dating about a week after the last leap year in 2008!
I looked on the internet for some ideas and compiled my own ideas for how you and your spouse, boyfriend/girlfriend, or even friends or children can spend this rare day.
Childhood Games - with a leap:
There is something so fun about revisiting childhood. These things will be fun with or without children present.
- Play leapfrog
- Fly a kite - watch it leap into the air
- Play hop-scotch
- Jump rope or play dubble-dutch
- Do three-legged races, sac races, or hop-on-one leg races
- Skip stones
- Pin the tail on the kangaroo or pin the crown on the frog
- Hide plastic frogs and have a "Leap Day Frog Hunt" like an Easter Egg Hunt
- Make Orgami Frogs (directions here)
- Leap into a pile of leaves or (more likely) in a pile of snow
Get out of your comfort zone - and take a leap:
What a better day to try something new than a day that only comes once every four years? Quit putting off something you've been wanting to do and do it today. Take a leap of faith. Traditionally leap year was a day for the woman to propose to her man... so nothing seems out of the question.
- Go bungee jumping
- Go sky-diving
- Go repelling
- Go cliff jumping
- Try a new type of food or cuisine
- Sing karaoke when you're afraid of singing in front of a crowd
- Try doing stand-up comedy for the first time
- Go to a concert (and leap out of your seat!)
- Cook a new recipe or something completely from scratch
- Go to a water park and do lots of canon balls and dives off the diving board
- Anything else that you and/or your significant other have never done before!
Brush up on your history - and have a fun theme for your date or throw a party:
It's a great day to learn about the origins of the calendar and why we even have a leap year. Going along with that you could...
- Make your date Roman-themed or have a toga party
- Watch the moon-landing on youtube (seen here) and have a space-theme
- Learn about famous people who had February 29th birthdays and do things based upon that person's life. (see a list here)
- Visit your local zoo or even pet shop and learn more about frogs, kangaroos, or all things leaping.
Have a night-in - Leap Day style:
There are several TV shows and episodes that would finish up a perfect evening or make for a slightly more excited date night in.
- Watch the 2010 romantic comedy movie "Leap Year" (watch trailer here)
- Watch the all-new Modern Family episode tonight "Leap Day" (watch preview here)
- Watch the all-new episode of Psych tonight night (watch "Talk Leap to Me" here)
- Watch last-week's 30-Rock's episode "Leap Day" (watch here)
- Watch last week's Parks and Recreation episode "Sweet Sixteen" (watch here)
- Watch an episode of the TV show Quantum Leap (watch here)
- Watch an episode of the new TV show Leap Year (watch here)
I hope these ideas help get you started on creating a very fun day for you and yours. Let me know what you end up doing and pass any other good ideas along.
More from entertainment